Thursday, August 18, 2011

So - behind, don't even know where to begin...

I've *finally* found some time to update the blog, and I have stuff to post from all the way in May! Though, sadly, when sorting through my files, I realized that I haven't taken any pictures of the girls in the last two months (July and August) - what happened?!? I'll have to fix that quickly. But, in the meantime, let's start with our crazy adventures in camping...

Sara begged us to take her camping for Memorial Day weekend. We loaded up the truck and hit the road for  San Antonio. We were all very excited.

About 80 miles up the road, Chad pulls the truck over and says it is acting funny - and then it dies! There we were, on the shoulder of I-10, in the middle of no-where! Thankfully we did have my nice, new smart phone and I was able to google tow-trucks. What an adventure. It was the very first time the girls (and I) had ever been inside a tow-truck. The girls were in awe.

A very nice mechanic in Sealy met us at his shop to look at the truck. Lucky for us, there was a donut shop right across the street - so I took the girls over there for a mid-day snack. I'm sure they thought this was just all part of the plan.





20 minutes later, the truck was all fixed up and we were on the road again. Everything was riding smoothly - and then, the truck started acting funny all over again. Boom. It died, yet again. Same old story, just a new "middle of no-where". Boo! Thankfully, another VERY nice tow-truck picked us up and drove us the 20 miles to Luling (a favorite town of mine) to a "master" mechanic. After discussing the problem with the mechanic, Chad and I decided it was time for a beer. Unfortunately, the mechanic told us there was only ONE place in all of Luling that had a bar - and it was a mile away. We were determined - and walked the mile with both girls for a nice ice-cold beer. Let me tell you, it was worth it :) An hour later, we were on the road with a fixed up truck that took us all the way into San Antonio. Woo-hoo!

We made it just in time to set up the tent and grill dinner. Sara just loved it. Georgia Ann too. They thought the tent was just the coolest thing ever - and had the hardest time settling down for nightime. Too bad Chad and I were EXHAUSTED!







The next day, we escaped the Texas heat with a trip to Natural Bridge Caverns. The girls really loved walking through the underground cave. Sara said she was the "bravest girl" in the cave because she wasn't afraid of the dark. We ended the trip with prospecting for gems and arrowheads. I'm not sure who had more fun - the girls or Chad :)







Despite the hairy start, it was a great family vacation. Lots of work - but totally worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment